Extension of Postpartum Coverage
NC Medicaid has extended coverage for postpartum care
NC Medicaid postpartum health care coverage increased from 60 days to 12 months for eligible beneficiaries in North Carolina on April 1, 2022. The benefit will provide 12 months of continuous (ongoing) postpartum coverage to eligible beneficiaries who are currently pregnant or gave birth between Feb. 1, 2022, and March 31, 2022.
Beneficiaries are eligible to receive 12 months of ongoing postpartum health care coverage beginning the date their pregnancy ends through the last day of the month, 12 months after the birth event. Beneficiaries remain eligible even if certain changes occur that may affect eligibility (such as a change in income or household/family unit).
Extended coverage applies to all categories of beneficiaries in all NC Medicaid programs, including those currently enrolled in the Medicaid for Pregnant Women program. Eligible beneficiaries should have received a letter notifying them of the change.
IMPORTANT: To get postpartum coverage for 12 months, the beneficiary’s caseworker at their local Department of Social Services (DSS) must be notified:
- when the beneficiary becomes pregnant
- if the due date changes
- when the pregnancy ends
- Press Release - March 31, 2022
- Just US: Before, Birth, and Beyond - Mountain Area Health Education Center Podcast with Emma Sandoe, PhD, MPH, Associate Director of Strategy and Planning, NC Medicaid - May 31, 2022
- Postpartum Extension Flyer - January 5, 2023
- Provider Postpartum Fact Sheet
- Provider Bulletin on Postpartum Extension - March 23, 2022
Beneficiary Postpartum Fact Sheets
NC Medicaid Contact Center
This page was last modified on 01/05/2023