Review the eligibility guidelines. If you are not sure if you are eligible, we suggest you apply anyway.
There are many ways to apply. You can apply online, by phone, email, mail, fax, or in person. See below for more details.
You can apply at any time of the year. It can take up to 45 calendar days (or up to 90 calendar days for disability applications) for your local Department of Social Services (DSS) to make a decision on your application. It can take longer if your application is missing information.
Do not wait — apply now. You may be eligible for Medicaid health care coverage for the last 3 months of medical bills starting from the date you apply.
Free help is available. If you do not speak English well, call your local DSS and ask the operator for an interpreter. If you have a disability and need communication assistance, call the NC Medicaid Contact Center 1-888-245-0179 (TTY: 711 or RelayNC.com).
What you may need to apply
You must provide the following:
- Full legal name and date of birth, for at least one person applying
- Mailing address, for at least one person applying
- Your signature (digital, voice, or written depending on how you apply)
You can save time if you also give the following information:
- Identity documents, such as driver’s license or school ID
- Social Security number (SSN) for people applying who have them, or proof they have applied for one
- Immigration documents for non-U.S. citizens who are applying
- Proof you live in North Carolina, such as a photo ID with your address, a utility bill, a lease, or documentation of employment
- Employer and income information for you and everyone in your household, such as paystubs, W-2 forms, tax returns or business records
- Copies of all medical or life insurance policies
- List of all cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, etc. you or anyone in your household own, including the year, make, model and vehicle identification number (VIN) for each item
- Most recent bank statements
- List of all real property you own (this includes land, homes and buildings)
- Current financial statements/award letters from other sources of income, such as Social Security, retirement benefits, pensions, veterans benefits and child support
You can apply with an application that is missing information and add it later. However, giving as much information as possible may help you get a decision faster. Your local DSS office will contact you if they need more information.
Your information will not be used for immigration enforcement. We only use personal information to check if you are eligible.
Four ways to apply
After you apply
It can take up to 45 days for DSS to decide if you qualify for NC Medicaid. Disability applications can take up to 90 days.
We may contact you to ask for more information. Be sure your address and phone number are correct and be sure to respond to mail or phone calls from your local Department of Social Services.
If you are approved, you will get a letter in the mail. If you did not choose a health plan on your application, you will be assigned one. If you need to change your health plan, contact the NC Medicaid Enrollment Broker at 1-833-870-5500 (TTY: 711 or RelayNC.com) or visit ncmedicaidplans.gov.
When you are assigned a health plan, you can also choose a primary care provider (PCP) or you will be assigned one. Your PCP is a doctor, nurse practitioner or other provider that will see you when you need care. Learn more at ncmedicaidplans.gov/find.
Need help applying?
Make a free appointment with NC Navigator Consortium online or call 1-855-733-3711. They can help you apply for NC Medicaid.
Or call your local Department of Social Services (DSS). Use our DSS directory or call the NC Medicaid Contact Center at 1-888-245-0179 to find the location closest to you. Help is available in other languages.
Use this application (DMA-5200) to apply for NC Medicaid by mail, email, fax or in person.
If you are a single adult with no dependents or health care coverage from your employer, use the “short form” application (DMA-5201).
Other forms may be needed in certain situations. You can fill out the form(s) and submit them with your application if you know they are required. Your local DSS will also let you know if you need to complete one of these forms.
|Someone in your household is eligible for health coverage from a job.
|Health Coverage from Jobs - Appendix A (DMA-5202-A)
|You or your family members are American Indian or Alaska Native.
|American Indian or Alaska Native Family Member (AI/AN) - Appendix B (DMA-5202-B)
|You would like to choose someone to be your authorized representative.
|Designation of Authorized Representative - Appendix C (DMA-5202-C)
|You want to apply for the program “NC Medicaid for the Aged, Blind, or Disabled”, long-term care or in-home services.
|Income/Resources - Appendix D (DMA-5202-D)
|You would like to ask for coverage for past medical bills.
|Medical Bills - Appendix E (DMA-5202-E)